Monday 7 April 2014

Evaluation 2 Draft


Evaluation 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My media product has a similar social group to those of Classic Rock or Kerrang!
The content of my magazine is fairly similar to Kerrang! Magazine as it includes features, news and live topics which are the main subtitles on Kerrang!s contents page. The double page spread articles are also very similar as they are in interview format, as most double page spreads are.

The images of my magazine are also used to represent particular social groups. For example, im my front cover you can see the model is wearing a suit, has well groomed hair and is of young-adult age, which is there to represent my target audience. The image I used on the contents page also represents a particular social group. 
The model is older, and I edited the image so it is black and white. This represents an older social group.

Here you can see an example of Classic Rock magazine, which features MUSE’s Matt Bellamy as their cover artist. 
 As you can see he is also wearing a suit jacket and is looking directly at the camera. His hair is well groomed and he has a stern look on his face, similar to that of my cover. The model has a quite serious look on his face and isn’t smiling; this represents the more rocky side of the magazine and represents my target audience. This image represents a young adolescent male, the same as my target audience. The models hair was also the type of style that is usually associated with alternative/indie/rock artists and therefore my magazine represents their social group. The costume on the cover also represents a specific social group, the model is wearing a suit, waistcoat and bow tie, and this type of clothing is usually associated with wealthier demographics and often shows how much money a person has. This represents the price of my magazine, as I don’t want the price to be too high for the lower consumers of my magazine nor do I want it to be too low end so that the higher demographics are lost.


Overall I think that my magazine is able to represent the social group through its general style. The dark grey/black background and the red on the front cover represent the rock side of the magazine; these colours are typically used on rock magazines such as Kerrang! Also the green and white on the front cover represent a more indie audience. All these colours make up my house style and represent my chosen target audience, as these are colours that would appeal to them and tempt them to buy the magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment